Home
About Us
Services
Portfolio
News
Contact
Corrosion and Surface Protection Symposium Ended Successfully

 

First part of the International Symposium on “Corrosion and Surface Protection for Steel (CASP 2019)” organized by TUCSA in coordination with ECCS was held at LaresPark Hotel in Istanbul on 22-23 May 2019, and technical tour to Saint Stephane Church (Iron Church) was conducted on 24 May in order to see the restoration project in place. After successful completion of the first of biannual conference series, the 2nd Corrosion and Surface Protection for Steel conference will be held in Istanbul in May 2021

 
  • International Symposium on Corrosion and Surface Protection for Steel (CASP 2019) organised by Turkish Constructional Steelwork Association (TUCSA) in coordination with European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS) has been successfully completed. Participants from 9 countries including Czech Republic, Germany, Iran, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, South Korea, the United Kingdom, as well as Turkey joined the conference.   

    The first part of the symposium was held at LaresPark Hotel in Istanbul on 22-23 May 2019. In the first part, the three keynote speakers mentioned below presented their very valuable speeches and answered the questions 
    posed by audiences:
        Prof. Dr. Ali Fuat Çakır (Turkey) – “Corrosion: A general overview”
        Dr. Reza Javaherdashti (Iran) – “Importance of the Economy and Ecology in the Assessment Corrosion Practice”
        Prof. František Walt (Czech Republic) – “Fire Protection by Hot Deep Galvanising in EN1993-1-2 (2020)”

    By the authors of the papers, new technologies and very interesting topics were presented related to the importance, causes, results and protection methods of corrosion. In addition, audiences were also interested in the presentation about corrosions caused by bacteria, which is particularly important for refineries and pipelines. Another prominent point in these presentations was that attention was drawn to the necessity of using green technologies while protecting from corrosion.


    On the second day of the symposium, a round table meeting was performed. The meeting was moderated by Mr. Yener Gür’eş, President of ECCS and TUCSA, with the participation of Prof. Dr. 
    Ali Fuat Çakır, Prof. Dr. Fevziye Aköz, Dr. Selçuk İz, Bünyamin Halaç (GALDER) and Berat Kemal (Jotun). The round table speakers discussed 
       *- corrosion of steel from rebar up to steel structures, used in superstructures and infrastructures, 
       *- cost and burns of corrosion in Turkey, and 
       *- prevention and protection methods against corrosion.

    This part of the conference ended with the appreciation of participants who asked for the next conference. At the end of this part of the symposium, Mr. Gür’eş stated that “Corrosion causes about US$ 50 billion every year in Turkey. Therefore, it is necessary that public opinion about corrosion and corrosion engineering should be developed. Consequently, TUCSA will continue to organize biannual conference series in coordination with ECCS, General Galvanizers Association (GALDER), Turkish Steel Federation (ÇELFED) and Turkey Corrosion Association. Within this context, it was announced that the 2ndCorrosion and Surface Protection for Steel conference will be held in Istanbul in May 2021. In respect to decreasing of losses stemming from corrosion, TUCSA will continue to work on;

        Ÿ execution and inspection regulations for corrosion prevention, 
        Ÿ increasing the use of and demands to corrosion engineers and
        Ÿ increasing training and education on multidiscipline corrosion and protection of corrosion.  

    On the 24th of May, a technical tour was organized to the historical Saint Stephane Church located at Balat at the shore of Halic (Golden Horn), Istanbul, in order to observe the recently completed restoration and reinforcement project of the church. After the completion of architectural design, soil development and foundation works were fulfilled between 1859 and 1892. All structures, facades, and decorations which are cast iron and steel were manufactured and delivered by 
    R. Ph. WaagnerVienne company in Austria prior to 1895. Construction and erection were completed in 1896, and the church was opened in 1898 with a spectacular ceremony. In parallel with the resilience concept, future control and maintenance of the church should be planned as other historical buildings in order to prolong the life of structures under principles of the environmental, social and economic sustainability.